Friday, March 26, 2010

Take 2 (or more) Steps

It does not matter how much time I spend in my office trying to get caught up. No matter what I do, it seems like I am always behind. I can knock off 10 things from my to-do list, and the next day I will have 15 more items added to the list. It feels like I take 2 steps forward, then 3 steps backwards. I often feel like I am never making any progress.

A couple days ago, I took some steps (more than 2) outside of my office. I went through the hallways, popping in classrooms for quick visits. The time was very well spent for me. The best visit was in 3rd grade watching one of our great teachers using the Smart Board very effectively in her instruction. There were smiles on the students’ faces, hands raised, and eyes glued to the Smart Board. The time in the classroom was a great reminder about what is important. Take time to talk with your staff. Take time to talk with the students. Take time to talk with the parents. The ten minutes I spent in 3rd grade was more beneficial than replying to 10 emails in 10 minutes.

I appreciate you reading this blog post, but don’t spend too much time here. Go visit a classroom. Go talk to a kid. Make that phone call to a parent. It’s worth the time.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    I will take your thoughts one step futher. When I step out of the office and randomly pop into rooms I find that I solve problems and answer questions along the way as I bump into people. I also find that it alows me to be more proactive in solving problems that are just starting, rather than waiting until they are much larger and knocking my door down!

    Of course, I am on spring break starting yesterday, and thus am on e-mail! Just can't escape.

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find myself bogged down in office stuff and make myself talk a walkabout. I actually "schedule" a time so that it is an appointment that is hard to miss.

    The walks are rewarding in so many ways. Building a rapport with the staff and students, see the good work that is going on, and of course a little prevention too.

    The connections are so important.

    My staff notices when I am less/more visible and make comments about it, either a positive for being out and about, or a "busy time" when I am not. Very nice reminders of the important part of the job.

    ReplyDelete