Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tweetshrink The World - Day 3 of Tweet Week

Wednesday was day 3 of Tweet Week and the theme for today is how Twitter can make the world smaller. The focus for today was a fascinating tweet by @mashable

@mashable: 10 Awesome Webcam Feeds From Around the World - http://bit.ly/bFQDbW

If you click on the link you will see 10 very interesting webcams from all over the world. This single link allows us to take a live glimpse into different areas all over the Earth. This made me begin to think about how a Tweet like this can shrink the world. There are so many opportunities on Twitter to connect, share, discuss, and learn from educators around the globe. There are many examples of how we have used Twitter in my classes in order give the students and myself learning opportunities that extend beyond our classroom walls.

  • There are great opportunities for polling a variety of people. Twtpoll is my favorite polling website. We have used this polling tool to learn about probability, percents, ratios, and fractions.
  • Twitter and geography can be integrated very easily. I enjoy replying to people's request on twitter such as, "I am giving a presentation on twitter. Please say hi to the staff and let us know where you are from." We have sent out tweets similar to this in our classes and have received so many replies that we can not keep up on reading them as they come in. It is fun, and interesting, to see where all of the people are replying from.
  • Sharing resources is a great benefit of Twitter. We have benefitted from great resources that people have sent out and we also try to share great ideas or lessons that we have to offer.
  • Probably my favorite way that Twitter makes the world a smaller place is the connections I have made with other educators. More specifically, as an educator at a Lutheran school, I have been thankful for the connections that I have made with educators from other Lutheran schools who are currently on Twitter. It is truly amazing the conversations that can take place in less than 140 characters.
In what other ways has Twitter brought the world into your classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I was a bit disappointed to see my class webcam wasn't included in the list ;) I have lots of examples of how Twitter has helped me create opportunities for my students. I find it great for conversations over nothing (shades of Seinfeld!) and about the most important things; religion, politics, and school.

    ReplyDelete