Tuesday, June 1, 2010

8 Goals for my 8th Year

Professional growth can be achieved in different ways. I am a big proponent of setting goals and making lists in order to stay organized, achieve growth, and challenge myself. This August, I will enter my 8th year in the teaching profession. The following list contains 8 simple goals for me to work on in my 8th school year. These goals are not things that you will necessarily learn in your masters classes or read in an educational journal, but I do think they can help build relationships and promote a positive atmosphere in your school.

8 GOALS FOR 2010-2011
1. Acknowledge all staff members birthdays.
2. When a substitute teacher is in for a teacher, visit that classroom at least once during the day to check on the sub and the class.
3. Write thank you notes. The key word here is write. Hand-written thank you notes show genuine sincerity to teachers, parents, volunteers, etc.
4. Know the names of all your staff members' spouse and children. (If you can remember names of grandchildren and pets, that will make an extra good impression)
5. No coasting at the end - Give the same energy to the last month of school that you do to the first month of school. Along the same lines, treat each everyone like it is last day of school. I noticed how kind everyone was to each other on the last day of school this year. Treat students, parents, and colleagues every day as if it is the last time you will see them for about 2 1/2 months.
6. Keep a list of great things teachers do during the year. Share the list with the teacher at the year-end meeting
7. Plan well ahead of time for events that require invitations to be sent out. The only thing more insulting than not inviting someone, is inviting them at the last minute.
8. Pick 1 thing to finish per week - We all have those items on our to-do list that dont NEED to be done and therefore sit on the list for months, sometimes years. Pick one of those items each week and make it a high priority. If you are consistent, you could get up to 40 or 50 of those types of tasks done each year.

What goals do you have as you enter the 2010-2011 school year?

1 comment:

  1. What a great list! As I start my Principal life, I will remember this list.

    I have many goals I want to accomplish, but not sure how many are realistic as a first year principal. Plus, going to a new school to become a first year principal, I don't know all the ins and outs of the school and what their teachers need and want. What their students need and want. It will be very rewarding ride!

    ReplyDelete