Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Power of "We"

As you prepare for another school year, remember the power of “we”. Now is a good time to implement a new vision for your school, or to implement a change that can increase student learning. The buy-in and ownership of any new program in a school will be much higher if the word “we” is used instead of the word “I”. For example, this phrase:
“We will be the school of choice in our area by providing…”
would be much more effective in promoting a vision than this phrase:
“I want our school to be the school of choice in our area by providing…”
The word “we” is more likely to imply that we are a team trying to achieve a goal. Successful teams all share a common goal, and each member understands their role to help the team achieve the goal. Team members (teachers, students, staff, etc.) will be more likely to help your organization or school reach it’s goals when they feel that they are a part of the vision. Using the word “we” instead of the word “I” can help make your vision their vision also.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. I've been thinking about this same thing in the context of my classroom. I want to take it from "my room" to "our room." It is so important for that shared vision and teamwork. Thanks for sharing.

    - @newfirewithin

    ReplyDelete