Monday, September 13, 2010

Divided Time

Railroad watch

I am currently an assistant principal, athletic director, co-technology coordinator, coach, and I teach one class everyday. How I spend my time is a question and a struggle for me every week. Some of us may have different titles that describe what hat we wear. We also know that even if you have one title, such as principal, there are many hats that you must wear within that job. I think there are 3 things that a principal needs to focus on. First, walk around the school to observe what is going on. Second, talk to people. Talk to teachers, students, janitors, secretaries, parents, pastors, etc. Third, sit at your desk and get some work done. I think of "desk work" as answering email and phone messages, writing memos, setting agendas, planning schedules, developing curriculum, etc. It is important to note that most days you will not accomplish all three things. A day for a principal is going to be full of schedule changes, unexpected problems, and strange surprises that you had no idea would come up (Robbins & Alvy, 2004, 151). How you respond to those surprises often determines how well your day will go.

Robbins, P., Alvy, H. (2004). The New Principal’ Fieldbook: Strategies for Success. Alexandria: ASCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment