Friday, April 15, 2011

What's Most Important?


Old Classroom, Shan Ran, uploaded via Flickr July 16, 2007, Creative Commons License


As I was speaking to a teacher today, we came to a point in the conversation where I asked, “What is your most important job as a teacher?” I believe that I knew the “direction” that I wanted the answer to go, but I do not think that I knew what the exact answer was that I wanted to hear. What is the most important job of a teacher? Is there a correct answer?

I’ve written a couple posts that I think would fit under this topic (Let Every Child Know They Are Loved, Plant a Seed, Plant a Seed Part 2), and I think they all describe the “direction” that I thought the answer should go. Is the most important role for a teacher to make sure children know they are loved? Is student learning most important? Is it most important to make sure your students are ready for the next grade?

I am curious to know what other educators think. Is it fair to ask a teacher to determine what their most important job is as a teacher? Is there one right answer to this question?

1 comment:

  1. I think it might be to create an atmosphere where kids love to learn. For me, that includes ensuring the kids feel safe, cared about, and empowered.
    @michellek107

    ReplyDelete